Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
Ready for a delicious cup of nutritious and low-calorie soup? Try this recipe from my friend, Nancy. You’ll love it!
Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup (Weight Watchers)
- 1 clove (medium sized) garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk (medium sized) celery, chopped
- 1 lb uncooked lean ground beef (93%)
- 2 tblsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups canned chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup of low-fat evaporated milk
- 8 oz reduced fat Velveeta cheese, cubed
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 24 baked corn tortilla chips, crumbled
- cooking spray
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add garlic, onion and celery to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Coat a 3 qt. or larger slow cooker with cooking spray; spoon in vegetables.
- Place same skillet over medium-high heat and brown beef, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- In a small cup, combine flour and ½ cup of broth; stir until lump free,
- Pour flour mixture into skillet; add remaining 2 1/2 cups of broth.
- Bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits in bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon, then pour into the slow cooker. Stir in evaporated milk, cheese, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on Low setting for 2 hours.
- Serve soup topped with crumbled tortilla chips.
- Note: If the soup cooks too long, the cheese could separate.
- If that happens, combine 1 tbsp flour and ¼ cup of soup in a cup; stir to a paste.
- Stir flour mixture back into soup in the slow cooker, cover and cook on Low setting for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Per serving: 7 Smart Points