The Golden Years Gone Awry
I’m convinced the process of aging is God’s way of whetting our appetite for heaven. How do I know this? Because I can hardly wait for my new body unhindered by the aches and pains of old age.
Speaking of aches and pains, a group of senior citizens were drinking coffee and talking about their aches and pains.
“My arms are so weak I can hardly lift this cup of coffee,” said one.
“I know what you mean. My cataracts are so bad I can’t read anymore,” replied another.
“I can’t turn my head because of the arthritis in my neck,” said a third.
“My blood pressure pills make me dizzy,” another contributed.
“I guess that’s the price we pay for getting old,” winced an old man.
After a moment of silence, one woman chirped cheerfully, “Thank God we can still drive.”
There you have it, the golden years. The dictionary defines golden as excellent, first rate, wonderful, superb, unique, terrific, ideal. Whoever coined the phrase must have been either senile or on hallucinogenic drugs.
One so-called (probably young) expert suggested the following keys to enjoying old age:
- A meaningful life.
Sounds like the keys to enjoying life at any age, right? Unfortunately, some of us keep losing the keys. If you gauge health by the pills we take, many of us can mark that one off. There are some who enjoy the privilege of wealth in their golden years. But most of us don’t.
What about a meaningful life? How do we make the most of our years left on this earth? Perhaps if we change the shape of the keys, we’ll discover the right prescription.
- Definition: Good health is optimal mental and physical soundness.
- Refined Definition: Good health is making the most of our circumstances with a positive attitude and wise choices. (Proverbs 4:20-23)
- Definition: Wealth is a state of financial affluence.
- Refined Definition: True wealth is the accumulation of God’ s riches, such as wisdom and understanding. (Proverbs 3:13-15)
- Definition: A meaningful life is a life of importance and significance.
- Refined Definition: A meaningful life is a life that honors God and influences others with humility and compassion. (Colossians 3:12-14)
Let’s not forget the importance of meaningful relationships. When we connect and interact with God and one another, our lives have a way of turning from brass to gold. Regardless of our age, condition or position.
What about you? Have you struggled with any or all of these areas? If so, how has God helped you overcome discouragement or perhaps despair?