10 Reasons Why It Is About YOU!
In response to last week’s post (It’s Not About You—or, Is It?)my friend Susan made this observation: “I wonder if the Holy Spirit feels like a border collie – constantly circling me and keeping me with the herd. I hear His distinctive ‘bark,’ reminding me of His truth and calling me to the right path. How fun is that?”
Thanks, Susan! Our daughter’s family has had many dogs, but my favorite was Bandit, a border collie. To watch him try to round up the horses was pure delight. He had a job to do and tenaciously carried it out. I agree; it’s a great picture of the Holy Spirit. Aren’t we glad He’s so dedicated on our behalf that He doesn’t give up on us?
Matt Redmond’s catchy and memorable song reminds us of 10,000 Reasons to bless the Lord’s name. Today I want to encourage you with 10 Reasons why in God’s eyes, IT is about YOU. If we could brainstorm, I’m sure we could come up with many more. At least 10,000!
10 Reasons Why It Is About YOU
1. God created YOU in his image.
Are you allowing God to recreate His character in you? When people observe you, do they see the fingerprints of God? (Genesis 1:26 & 9:6; Ephesians 4:24)
2. God sent His Son to reveal Himself to YOU.
In your quest to know God, have you searched the scriptures and found Jesus? If not, are you willing to do so? (John 5:39-40; 1:14; 8:19; 17:3, 6)
3. God gives YOU the opportunity and the right to become His child.
Do you realize if you were the only person who ever lived, Jesus would have died for you? Have you received God’s gift of becoming His child? (John 1:12; I John 3:1-2)
4. God wants YOU to know Him personally as Lord of your life.
Do you recognize the shepherd’s voice in your life? Are you growing in your relationship with Him? (John 10:14&27; 14:17; 17:3)
5. God sent His Spirit to live within YOU the moment you received Christ as your Savior. Are you asking and allowing the Holy Spirit to counsel you, teach you and give you God’s peace? (John 14:16-18 & 26-27)
6. God loves YOU even when you sin.
When you sin, do you run to God, or from Him? Do you have the faith to believe if you confess your sin, He will cleanse you from all unrighteousness? Are you willing to be led by the Spirit step by step and moment by moment? (Romans 5:8; Hebrews 10:22; I John 1:9; Galatians 5:16-18 & 22-25)
7. God fashioned YOU for His purpose.
Do you desire God’s will more than your own? Are you willing to trust His heart when you can’t see His hand? (Romans 8:28-29; Ephesians 1:7,8,11; 2:10, Jeremiah 29:11)
8. God will complete the work He has begun in YOU.
Are you willing to discover God’s purpose for you and to trust Him to finish what He’s started in you? (Philippians 1:3-6; Psalm 138:8)
9. God chose YOU to be His mouthpiece to the world.
Have you discovered the joy of sharing with others the love of Christ through your life and words? (Acts 1:8; John 15:16; II Corinthians 5:17-21)
10. God has reserved a place for YOU in heaven.
Are you resting in the fact that your reservation in heaven is secure based on God’s Word? (John 14:1-6; I John 5:11-13)
Suggestion: Take the time to evaluate your answers to the questions.
- Thank God for each yes.
- If you would like to change your no answers to yes, ask God to help you do so.
- If your answer is I’m not sure, talk to someone you trust to help you understand God’s love and desire for you to grow in your faith.
Now, let’s brainstorm. Can you think of another reason to add to the list? Or if at some time, God has used one of the 10 reasons to draw you closer to Him, leave a comment.
*Next week, I’ll share how sometimes God takes away when we least expect it.